You know who makes you feel good about your cooking abilities? Boys, specifically my husband and his two brothers. I had all three boys in my house this past weekend and by bedtime on Sunday, I felt like Julia Child! Everything I put in front of them was gone almost instantly and they continued to rave about it long after the dishes were done.
Seriously. It was enough to make a girl blush!
Of course they immediately ruined it by telling me that they eat just about anything, but I chose to ignore that.
One of their favorites was this cinnamon apple coffee cake that was our dessert on Sunday. I wanted something easy that tastes like fall, but wasn’t pumpkin flavored. And then I thought about my ridiculous obsession with going apple picking at the many (non-existent) orchards nearby. Clearly, apples needed to go into this bad boy as well.
So I went into the kitchen and got started. About an hour later, this cinnamon apple coffee cake came out of the oven and I was in love. I wasn’t the only one! I actually had to fight the boys off the last few pieces in order to have any left for photos!
This cake is so stinking good that I don’t really blame them. The inside is all soft and chewy with just a hint of apple throughout. The apple was cut fairly fine so it almost melted into the rest of the batter, but if you like bigger chunks of apple, then feel free to cut the apple into larger pieces. But the best part is probably all that tasty, crunchy, sweet crumble on top! I’m legit going to have to fight A for the last piece of this cinnamon apple coffee cake, I can already tell.
I opted to serve this like bar cookies which was good because it maximized my servings, something that’s necessary with all those guys around. Then I really blew their mind and plopped a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. All hail the dessert queen!
Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- For the crumb topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold cubed butter
- For the cake
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Gala apple, finely chopped (you could certainly add more if you’d like!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with tin foil. Spray tin foil lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients for the crumb topping. Cut in cold butter with a fork or pastry blender, until large clumps form.
- Melt two sticks of butter and let cool slightly.
- Combine brown sugar, eggs and vanilla using a stand mixer.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients.
- Fold apple in gently.
- Pour batter into baking pan and top with crumble.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.