The Deployment ABCs is a 26-week series where I cover every deployment-related topic, from care packages to homecomings to OPSEC. Tips, tricks and maybe a resource or two to help military spouses navigate their way through the craziness that is a deployment. If there’s a topic you’d like for me to cover or are interested in adding your own thoughts to, send me an email and we’ll chat!
Next to homecomings and that first hug, sending care packages is my favorite thing about deployments. I love planning, shopping for and decorating my boxes, but what I love most is feeling like I’m helping A with his deployment by sending care packages. As someone who likes to take care of other people, this is huge for me. I’m constantly at a loss when A’s gone because I don’t have anyone to take care of and love on, but sending out a monthly box or two fills that gap for me.
And because the military has a habit of surprising me with a deployment when I least expect it, I have gotten pretty good about collecting care package themes and inspirations throughout the year. In today’s Deployment ABCs post, I’ve collected enough inspiration for you to send out a care package every week for a whole year!
January Care Packages
- A resolution box – everything they need to make (or keep) their resolutions.
- “I’m so blue without you” – decorate with blue paper and fill with blue products.
- “There’s a piece of me missing without you” (or “I love you to pieces”) – send a puzzle to occupy any downtime they may have.
- TV themed box – pick a favorite TV show and use it as the inspiration for the box’s decor and contents.
February Care Packages
- Happy Valentine’s Day
- Movie themed box – pick a favorite movie and use it as the inspiration for the box’s decor and contents.
- “You make me happier than a whole box of Girl Scout cookies.” – send all the Girl Scout cookies!
- Super Bowl – include all of the things they need to have a Super Bowl party (decorations, cups, plates, etc).
March Care Packages
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day
- “I love you more than…”
- “I loooong for you to be home again!” – a dachshund themed care package!
- “I’m so lucky to have you!”
April Care Packages
- “I’m so ready to spring into your arms” (Spring)
- “You are my sunshine” – decorate with yellow paper and fill with yellow items.
- “You’re the peanut butter to my jelly” – supplies to make a PB&J are a must!
- “You get me twisted” – send a box full of lots of pretzels.
May Care Packages
- Happy Mother’s Day
- Kentucky Derby
- “Let’s fiesta like there’s no mañana!” (Cinco de Mayo)
- “You’re the chocolate chip to my cookie” – send lots of chocolate chip cookies, I suggest these!
June Care Packages
- Happy Father’s Day
- Happy birthday to the Army!
- “You’re sweeter than candy!” – celebrate National Candy Month and send a box full of his or her favorite candy.
- “Our future is so bright, we have to wear shades!” – send them some new sunglasses!
July Care Packages
- Happy 4th of July
- “I oFISHally miss you” – include Goldfish crackers, Swedish fish and a deck of go fish cards.
- “The BLANK things I love about you”
- “I’m nuts about you!”
August Care Packages
- “You’re hotter than a BLANK summer” – use your state, city or deployment location and fill with things to keep them cool or lots of spicy treats.
- “Do you even lift bro?” (Fitness care package)
- Happy birthday to the Coast Guard!
- “I love you more than a fat kid loves cake” – bring on all the snack cakes!
September Care Packages
- “Are you ready for some football?!”
- “I love you a latte” – fill it with tons of coffee, supplies and coffee-flavored products.
- “Are you a library book? Because I’m checking you out!” – fill the box with loads of new reading material.
- Happy birthday to the Air Force!
October Care Packages
- “You’re a home run!” (Baseball)
- Happy Halloween
- “I love you more than all the stars in the sky”
- Happy birthday to the Navy!
November Care Packages
- “Being with you is a slam dunk!” (Basketball)
- Happy Thanksgiving
- “I am so thankful you love me!”
- Happy birthday to the Marine Corps!
December Care Packages
- Merry Christmas
- Happy birthday to the National Guard!
- “I miss you snow much!”
- “Sending you kisses at midnight!” (New Years Eve) – this would be a great spot to add a Kiss Kit!