At least twice a month I buy a bunch of extra green bananas at the grocery store. I leave them on my counter to get to just the right level of ripeness. And when they do? Magical.
And then four minutes later, they are brown and emitting an exceptionally strong banana odor. We stare at each other for a day or so before I’m forced to admit that I won’t eat them in their present state. I think I can hear them laugh in victory.
But then I realize that the only reason to buy more than say two bananas at a time is to bake with them! Which I do! With reckless abandon!
Take that brown bananas!
Sorry. Things may have gotten out of hand there.
But you know what is in hand? These banana brownies. Well actually they didn’t stay in hand for very long before they were in belly instead.
I am sorry. I promise, I’m normal in person. Don’t let A tell you otherwise.
Using mashed banana instead of butter or oil makes these brownies slightly healthier than their traditional counterparts. But what they lack in fat, they make up for in flavor…there’s a ton of it! They’re almost like chocolate banana bread (which if you’re looking for an excuse to eat one for breakfast…you’re welcome) and have a very light and fluffy texture.
I think my favorite part of a brownie is the crust on top. I mean the rest of the brownie is pretty good too, but that crust is what makes it special. The banana will keep these moist in an airtight container for quite a few days, but they’re definitely better the first day!
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium sized bananas)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate over a double boiler and then mix with mashed banana. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Add eggs and sugar to banana-chocolate mixture. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour batter in a greased 13×9 baking dish. Bake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Place baking dish on a wire cooling rack and let cool the brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.